The Abyss of Concentration

books
Geez, louise...sometimes I get so engrossed with whatever I'm doing(algebra, contemplating glacier retreat, drawing, painting, wrapping gifts, organizing fabric, etc, etc, etc) that I have a hard time coming out of it. Most of the time I am quite distracted when I sit down to do something, but sometimes I get these random bursts of focus where I sit for hours hunched over a stack of papers. Often when this happens, I don't utter a single peep for hours. If my concentration is broken by my roommate coming to talk to me, or the phone ringing, or whatever, its like I don't remember how to speak. Jumbled, choppy words are all I can muster up.

My mind goes into this weird daze, almost like the concentration was so deep that I lost touch with reality (not in a creepy, psychotic way). I forget that anything outside my little pile of books and paper even exists and my social skills go down the drain(again, not in a completely insane way). I forget to eat, I forget to hydrate myself, and I end-up with a odd pains because I'm doing all of this intense concentration sitting on my knees, basically curled up in a little ball. Who knows, maybe I think better that way?

Anyways, enough rambling, but seriously I need to find balance. I mean, deep concentration is a good thing, but you still have to retain the ability to have a somewhat coherent conversation with another human being. I'm trying not complain here, I just never realized how much of a trance I can get myself into. I'm thankful for these gifts of motivation and bursts of creativity, but I have to remember to not get lost in it.

The abyss of concentration can suck you in, which isn't always a bad thing, but I tend to do everything in extremes. Once I'm there, I have a hard time coming back out. But I'm working on finding balance in all areas of my life, coherency between the passion and precaution.

God is patient. (nuf, said?)



Comments

Popular Posts